Monday, July 7, 2014

Special Educator Blog Hop! Sharing Advice...

 
 
I just found a new special education blogger! I swear for me (probably not you) it is like Christmas when I find a new special education blog to follow! Her name is Jamie and her blog is called Tales of a Carolina Girl. She is kicking off her new blog by hosting a blog hop!
 
http://talesofacarolinagirl.blogspot.com/2014/07/special-educator-bloghop.html?showComment=1404747437044#c7377107462915454661
 
 
 
Name: Jenn


 
 Job Title: Autistic Support /Life Skills Support- According to my district I'm just autistic support but, I will have 4 life skills students visiting my classroom for math everyday so I think I've earned that title as well.

 Grade: 7th and 8th Grade (Middle School)

 How Long I've Been Teaching: 2nd year in special education and 6th year of teaching ( 1 year of alternative education with middle school and high school students, 2 years of pre-kindergarten, 2 years of first grade) Basically I've been all over!

Advice: We all know as special education teachers or not, that every teacher has to have an effective behavior management system. Throughout my years of teaching I have tried many different techniques based on the types of students I've had.  This past year working with middle school students was a different experience. I'm mostly used to younger students so all the cutesy ticket and clipchart systems worked great. I knew I needed something more mature for my students.
 
 
            A lifesaver for me was Class Dojo. It is great for multiple ages and really keeps the students engaged. It provides both positive and negative feedback depending on how you want to use it. They are constantly adding new features to it and for those of us that love data and systems that help us keep track you are looking in the right place. 
 
            It allows you to customize behaviors so for us special educators with those weird behaviors we are trying to eliminate it is great. Also, it works on technology (iPads, iPhones, etc.). You can keep parents informed with it through sending emails and comments with behaviors. You can also print reports that have details of times frequency of behaviors.
            Oh, and lastly, did I mention that it is free!?!?! Can't beat that!
 
Thanks Jamie at Tales of a Carolina Girl for hosting this bloghop!

22 comments:

  1. I will have to check it out again. Tried it a few years ago but the new features sound great. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are a lot of new features. My students have really responded to it well! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. My students love Class Dojo! It's so easy to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree. I had a student last year though that used to take it upon herself to give herself points when no one was looking. So, I thought a lock code would be a good tool for them to add!

      Delete
  3. Hey Jenn! Thank you for linking up. I'm so excited to be meeting new special educators and I love Class Dojo. My students loved to hear that ding when they got a point! I look forward to reading more on your blog!

    Jamie
    Tales of a Carolina Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie,
      I appreciate people like you providing opportunities for special educators to connect! Great to hear you are excited to start your new venture. If there is any advice or questions you have don't hesitate to ask or send an email. :o)

      Jenn

      Delete
  4. I stopped by your blog from the link up. I have heard amazing things about Class Dojo from our Middle and High School staff. I work with younger children and haven't tried it out yet. Maybe next year!

    Erin
    You AUT-a Know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I really like it and see no reason why it wouldn't work for your younger guys. It is super easy to use if you have ipads in your room and the students really respond to it well. Check it out!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the info on Class Dojo. I will have to look into it. Can't beat free resources!!
    Pam
    MrsPSpecialties

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by my blog and checking me out! I've been a follower for a while! Yes, please check out class dojo the kids really get into it and it provides and keeps great data for you and parents.

      Delete
  6. This feels like Christmas for me, too! Yay!! Love your advice! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, so glad I'm not alone in that thought!

      Delete
  7. I tried this out for a short while but I feel like it didn't work out great since we were going a lot of independent work. Maybe it works best when you're teaching whole group lessons?

    I used Go Noodle for some brain breaks and that was awesome! You'll have to check it out if you haven't already :)

    Breezy Special Ed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just noticed you said this works on iPads. Can this be done individually? I might have to give this a second try!! Thanks!

      Delete
    2. I have used it in small group, whole group, individual work, on field trips, and assemblies. I used it to give a student a point when they were on task completing individual work or taking away if they were not. Based on their percentage of points for the time period they were with me (all day or just a class period or two) they would earn a specific break item they preferred if they did well. Pretty much it follows me everywhere! Yes, it works on iPads. My staff and I each had one at our stations and we could each put points in or take points away and it would immediately reflect on each others. Also, if you have teachers that do inclusion you can share info with them too!

      Delete
  8. Class Dojo is a fun behavior tool for sure! I think kids of all ages really respond to it.

    Kelly
    A View Into My Classroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I wasn't sure when I started working with my middle school guys if it would work but, they loved it!

      Delete
  9. I will have to check out Class Dojo. Thanks for the recommendation!

    Little Room Under the Stairs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please do! I promise you won't be disappointed! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm a new follower of yours as well!

      Delete
  10. Interesting! I'll have to look into this more. :-)

    -Tasha
    A Tender Teacher for Special Needs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I really recommend it! It helped me a lot last year to keep students on their best behavior most of the time! :)

      Delete
  11. I just found your blog through Tales from a Carolina Girl's blog hop and I am so glad that I did! I love finding new special ed blogs and look forward to reading more of your posts!
    Kim
    Mrs. H's Resource Room

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment I'd love to know your thoughts and learn more from you! :0)